Name: EUFRACIO P. MARATAS JR.
Present Work: Municipal Councilor
Home Address: Barangay Esperanza, Pilar, Cebu 6048
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Number: +63-908-8964960
Reading the Pacific Friend Magazine when I was a small child, it started my obsession with Japan and its culture. I have always wanted to travel to Japan but never had the opportunity to do so. If given the chance, I intend to share my experiences with my network of friends through my photos. Photography is a hobby I am also passionate with aside from natural resources and biodiversity conservation.
- As Municipal Vice Mayor in 2010-2013, I led the Municipal Council and served as its Presiding Officer. The Provincial Office of the Department of Interior and Local Government recognized it as the Most Outstanding Sanguniang Bayan during the 2012 Legislative Awards.
- A panel of experts from Solution Search 2011: “Turning the Tide for Coastal Fisheries”, an award sponsored by Rare and National Geographic, selected my entry on the Pilar Municipal Marine Park (PMMP) as one of the Top 10 Finalists among more than a hundred entries from 48 countries.
- In 2010-2012, I initiated and coordinated the implementation of the Strengthening Community-based Biodiversity Conservation Initiatives in Pilar, Cebu (SCOBCIP) Project funded by the GEF’s Small Grants Programme. For more details, please see https://sgp.undp.org/index.php?option=com_sgpprojects&view=projectdetail&id=15844&Itemid=205.
- In 2011-2012, I also initiated and implemented the Sustaining Watershed Rehabilitation and Management through Rainforestation (SWARM-Rainfo) Project in partnership with Visayas State University’s Institute of Tropical Ecology and Environmental Management, funded by the Rufford Small Grants. For more details, please see http://www.rufford.org/rsg/projects/eufracio_jr_maratas.
- I served as Chairman of the PMMP Management Board from 2005 to 2010 and the MPA Support Network selected the project as the 2009 Most Outstanding Marine Protected Area (MPA) of the Philippines during the year’s Para El Mar Awards.
- From 2002 to 2006, I was the co-chairman of the Municipal Council for the Protection of Children (MCPC) and remained an active member of its core group until the year 2013. During this period, Pilar was awarded as the Most Child Friendly Municipality of the Province of Cebu in the years 2007, 2008, and 2009; of the Central Visayas (Region VII) in the years 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012; and finalist for the national search in the years 2010, 2012 and 2013 for the 4th-6th class municipality category. The municipality was also warded as Most Gender Responsive Municipality of Cebu Province for the same category in the years 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Member/trainer of the ELTI Environmental Leadership Program that advocates native-tree species forest restoration and biodiversity conservation. Yale University and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) initiated the program. For more details please see http://eltinews.blogspot.com/2012/05/elti-leader-dodong-maratas.html
- Local partner and supervisor of Conservation fellow Susan Cataylo in the Pride Campaign for Sustainable Fishing in Pilar, implemented from 2013 to 2014 and now under the alumni program. Rare initiated the campaign for the conservation and effective management of marine biodiversity in the municipality. For more details, please see http://panorama.solutions/content/ensuring-fish-and-lives-those-who-depend-them.
- Member/Adviser of the Nagkahiusang Katawhan sa Esperanza (NAKASE) and the Can-ugkay Rainforestation Farmers Association (CARFA). Both are community-based organizations currently implementing various biodiversity conservation and livelihood projects in Pilar.
- Board of Director and TWG member of the Camotes Islands Tourism Board
- Member of the Philippine Councilors League
Esperanza Elementary School 1976-1978
University of San Carlos GHS 1978-1982
University of the Philippines Cebu 1982-1986
University of the Philippines Los Baños (BS Agricultural Chemistry) 1986-1988
University of San Carlos TC (BS Architecture) 1988-1994
Hon. Hilario Davide III
Governor, Province of Cebu
Hon. Agnes Magpale
Vice Governor, Province of Cebu
Mr. David Neidel, Ph.D.
Environmental Leadership and Training Initiative (ELTI)
Asia Program Coordinator, Email: email@example.com