As a foreigner living in Japan, where to get travel insurance when traveling abroad from Japan?

Asked by Martyn Bissett · 4 years ago

I've lived in Japan for a few years now, previously on the JET Programme which offered a basic travel insurance for ALTs. Now I'm not on JET anymore, I'm wondering whether I take out travel insurance in Japan or back home (UK). I recall contacting a insurance company back home before about taking out insurance while living here but they told me that I had to be currently living in the UK for their insurance to cover me :/ I'm not familiar with Japanese insurance companies either, perhaps I would need to be a permanent resident here? What's the norm?


Please login to answer this question.

1 Answer
Answered by Olga Kaneda · 4 years ago

Hi Martyn, ff you are working full-time for a company, your company should offer to enroll you in Social Health Insurance. If it didn't, you will need to enroll in National Health Insurance. You don't need to be a permanent resident, just need to have a resident card.

Related questions