I would say Shimokitazawa just west of Shibuya is a good place to go. I don't recall the exact names of the bars, but there quite a few very small but very local places out there. Maybe you ask some of the young people in the street or at another bar if you are looking for anything specific. Hope this helps. Enjoy!
As somebody who enjoys live music, I think Tokyo does offer interesting venues for live music. Even though many people might recommend bars or pubs with live music, I actually enjoy the street performances in Tokyo. In particular, it shouldn't be hard to find live band performances outside of Uneo station (and I really enjoyed it).
- Where is the cheapest place for students in Tokyo to live?
- Where is the best place to purchase KitKat candy bars in a variety of flavors?
- Where is the best place to eat dango in Osaka?
- Recommended overnight accommodation between Tokyo and Nagoya?
- Hanabi season (fireworks season) in or around Tokyo. What hanabi event do you recommend and why?