While international visitors wait for Japan to reopen its borders, domestic tourists can rejoice at some good news in the form of new discounts. If there are some places you’ve been itching to visit, then this is the perfect opportunity. So, how exactly can you take advantage of these deals and save a few yen while exploring Japan?
Discount Shinkansen tickets
From 20 August 2020 to 31 March 2021, the East Japan Railway Company will be offering a whopping 50 percent savings on all bullet train tickets! This even includes some limited express trains.
This campaign promotes national travel within Japan and it’s something that everyone inside Japan can take advantage of. The discount applies to all JR East shinkansen lines—except the Hokuriku Shinkansen’s Kagayaki and Hakutaka trains.
There are a couple of stipulations to be aware of:
- Tickets must be purchased from the official JR East website
- Tickets must be booked between 20 to 30 days prior to your departure date.
6-day Hokkaido pass
[Oct 1 2020] Promotion finished in September 2020 after reaching its quota.
Hokkaido Love 6-day Pass allows travelers to use trains and buses anywhere within Hokkaido for the duration of the pass. Usually 24,000 yen, for a limited time JR Hokkaido are offering 50% off (12,000 yen) until January 2021.
- Passes can be purchased at any JR station in Hokkaido, other nationwide JR offices, or travel centers.
- Passes can be used from 23 July 2020 to 31 January 2021 except during peak travel times (August 10 to 19 and December 6 to January 6).
- Pass excludes shinkansen travel but includes up to four trips via reserved seating car.
For further savings, why not combine one (or both) of these deals with the Go to Travel campaign that began on July 22, 2020.
If you aren't able to take advantage of these discounts—whether because you're abroad or a high-risk person for COVID—there are still plenty of tours you can enjoy, right from your own home! Check out these recommended online tours in Japan and online experiences in preparation for a post-pandemic time when you can freely travel again.