By Elena Lisina
Kamakura is only an hour away from Tokyo and makes a great destination for a day trip from Tokyo. It has many unique and interesting Japanese street food here that you can't get in Tokyo. One of the famous foods here is the whitebait aka shirasu. Since the ocean is nearby you will see a lot of shops offering the local speciality in their menus. A lot of the street foods here have also incorporated the whitebait into the typical Japanese street foods which gives it a Kamakura twist to it.
All the shops I went to are off the main street - Komachi Street. Here are the street food I ate and the shops I visited in order:
- Torigoya : Chocolate croquette (deep fried mash potato), Beef croquette (deep fried mash potato)
- Hannari-Inari: Inarizushi (sushi wrapped in fried tofu), Whitebait egg roll
- Kamakura Ichibanya: Soy sauce rice cracker (senbei)
- Kamakura J's: Whitebait and Octopus Ball (Takoyaki)
- Kosode Juice bar: Lemonade
- Sakura no Yumemiya: Cherry blossom dango (Sakura dango)
Was this article helpful?
internationally ME | Angela ☺︎✌︎ Raised in New Zealand, now living in Tokyo, Japan!I created this channel because I want to show people more of the lesser known areas/local Japan and show the less major things that gets washed away on the internet - the main areas are great but sometimes you just want to explore and go off from the normal paths :)アンジェラです！東京在住の日中系ニュージーランド人です。日本の文化や観光動画を海外に向けて発信中！田舎・下町・穴場の所が特に好きです(*´꒳`*) 英日中どれでもOKなので、手軽にコメントしてね★Interact and communicate with me more here ↓https://www.patreon.com/internationallyME