Pleasant little eatery not far from the Peace Park, Kanak is always a friendly place to stop in for some warming, tasty Indian curries, nan bread and other dishes.
For larger group meals- I have also done a group dinner here in the back room and it was lots of fun. Service was good and there were lots of small dishes to choose from as well as substantial set meals. This pleased everyone in our group as some wanted a light meal while others were very hungry.
There are 11 types of curry on offer including four Vegan varieties and 2 seafood options. There are also a handful of vegan appetizers like fried chili tofu and vegetable pakora, this is quite unusual for Indian restaurants in Japan as the side dishes are often quite meaty. The set "thali" meals are very generous and well priced- there are meat options as well as vegetarian or vegan option to choose from in the sets as well.
The "healthy dinner" set is a reasonable ¥1,600 and includes a vegetarian curry, salad, samosa, nan or rice (2nd helpings of bread or rice are free). The "couple" set is ¥2,500 (for 2) including chicken tikka, sheek kabab, malai tikka, samosa, salad, curry nan or rice, drink and dessert. The kids set lunch includes rice, nan, curry and a drink for ¥500. There are many appetizers, salads, nan breads, curries, desserts and drinks to order a la carte from the menu at anytime, all lunch set meals are under ¥1,000.
The friendly and easy-going staff speak both English and Japanese and we enjoyed great service while we dined there. The whole place is non-smoking and there are child sets and seats, so it is also family-friendly.
The owner thinks of it as more of an Indian Izakaya than just a restaurant, and the menu's many appetizers and drinks varieties represent that concept. Those not in the mood for a big feed might enjoy the "Horoyoi Set" for ¥980 which includes an appetizer selection, a small curry and a drink. The 12 seat back room would be great for large groups or private parties- good 2 hour food and all-you-can-drink plans are available.
- Second portions of nan bread or rice with set meals
- Private room, party plan and reservations accepted
- Many Vegetarian and Vegan options
- Parking validation for an hour (if spend over ¥1000) from Book-off parking or Tengu parking lots
- conveniences: mouthwash and other toiletries in bathroom, re-usable chopsticks and cutlery, baby seat and child high-chair
- family friendly- all interior is non-smoking, kids sets, child seats, adjustable spices
- Cash only, no credit cards
- large selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks available
- English and Japanese menu & staff speak a variety of languages including English and Japanese